• Never use candles as decorations.
• Keep trees away from heat.
• Never use a cut tree in a place of public assembly
(apartment or hotel lobbies, restaurants, etc).
• Water a cut tree daily.
• Use a “non-tip” style tree stand.
• Use only fire retardant decorations.
• Never leave a lit tree unattended.
• Dispose of your tree properly, soon
after the holiday, before the needles
• Artificial trees should have a fire
• Never hang lights on a
• Unplug all lighting before retiring for the evening
or leaving the house.
• Purchase lights and electric decorations which
are listed by an approved testing agency such as
Underwriters Laboratory (UL).
• Check all lighting for frayed wires, broken plugs,
• Never overload outlets. Use no more than three
strands of lights on a single extension cord.
• Never use candles on trees, near live or other
• Blow out candles before leaving the room. Don't
leave candles burning unattended.
• Consider buying new energy efficient LED lights that
don't get as hot.
• Always use appropriate weatherproof