By Laura Irias, Chelsea High School and Healthy Chelsea Intern
What Are Allergies?
An allergy is a reaction of your immune system to something that bothers your body but does not necessarily bother other people. People who have allergies often are sensitive to more than one thing. One substance that often causes this reaction is pollen.
Allergies can cause a variety of symptoms, such as:
- Runny nose
- Itchy throat and eyes
- Watery eyes
- Nasal congestion
- Coughing and wheezing
- Ear infection
Here are some small ways you can help prevent allergies!
- Wash your hands as much as possible
- Don’t get near someone with a cold
- Keep windows closed in your house and car during the allergy season
- Take a shower, wash your hair, and take off the clothing you were wearing outside
Different types of medicine can help relieve symptoms when you are having allergies.
- Rhinocort allergy spray
Some people also like trying natural, home remedies in addition to allergy medicine. Here are a few examples of remedies that can help:
- Garlic: Some people like eating raw garlic every day--it gives your immune system a boost!
- Lemons: Lemon with water detoxes the body and gets rid of impurities.
- Chamomile tea: Some herbal tea with honey before going to bed can help soothe your throat and help you relax.